Re: suggestion: add link to Emacs manual node `Bugs' in report-emacs-bug

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: suggestion: add link to Emacs manual node `Bugs' in report-emacs-bug instructions
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:23:48 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
>>> Seems like we are forever repeating the excellent instructions found
>>> in the Emacs manual node `Bugs' (and subnodes) to users in
>>> help-gnu-emacs. How about including a link to that node in the
>>> `*mail*' buffer's instructions for `report-emacs-bug'?
>> Do you mean a clickable link?
>
> Yes, that's what I was thinking. Clickable if you have a mouse, `RET'
> followable, in any case.
>
>> That would mean that report-emacs-bug behaves differently
>> from normal mail buffers.
>
> How so? I'm not familiar with other mail buffers. `report-emacs-bug' is about
> the only thing I use Emacs for to prepare a mail message.
>
>> That may not be a bad thing; I'm not sure. If someone
>> implements this idea, we could consider it after the release.
>
> Hope someone does. It might save us all time in the long run and lead to
> better
> bug reports.

Just insert a text button, try this

(defun insert-bug-info-link ()
  (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
    (insert-text-button "Reporting Bugs"
                        'action
                        (lambda (btn)
                          (info-other-window "(emacs) Bugs")))))

I think the best would be to install such a change right now. It will
help getting Emacs 23.1 out of the door.