Confusion in INSTALL.CVS instructions

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Confusion in INSTALL.CVS instructions
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:22:23 -0500

Developers:

I found the `INSTALL.CVS' file that accompanies a cvs check out of
emacs sources to be confusing on what the progression of commands is
supposed to be.

Here is the section that I find confusing:

>          Building and Installing Emacs from CVS

> Some of the files that are included in the Emacs tarball, such as
> byte-compiled Lisp files, are not stored in the CVS repository.
> Therefore, to build from CVS you must run "make bootstrap" instead
> of just "make":

>   $ cvs update -dP
>   $ make bootstrap

> Of course, if this is the first time you go through it, you'll need
> to do ./configure before the "make bootstrap".

> Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every
> CVS update.  "make" should work in 90% of the cases and be much
> quicker.

>   $ make

> (If you want to install the Emacs binary, type "make install"
> instead of "make" in the last command.)

It's not clear if on a fresh checkout one is supposed to run both
`make bootstrap'  and `make'  or  if  `make bootstrap'  takes  the
place  of `make'.

It may not have confused anyone else but I suspect it does.

I'm currently waiting for make bootstrap to finish.