Re: Tool-bar and multi-tty

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Tool-bar and multi-tty
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:05:00 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> This sounds like a very complicated solution.  Why can't we set up
> tool-bar-map unconditionally?

After thinking about that, I think it wouldn't work.

As I said, various properties of the tool-bar, such as the icons to use,
depend on X resources and GTK resources which are not available until
the first graphical frame is loaded.

And Emacs can't always access X resources and GTK resources ahead of
time: for instance, imagine ssh'ing to a server without an X forwarding
agent, and running an emacs server; then ssh in with a forwarding agent,
and run `emacsclient -c'.