Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and adds

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and addsection
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:11:54 +0200

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?= <address@hidden>
> CC: <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:09:46 +0200
>
> Actually, this $foo$ instead of foo$ does not seem to prevent building.
> What really prevents building is the mixture of Unix and Dos end of line
> in the makefile produced by configure.bat.

How is this related to the shell being used?

> In the attachment I have put this makefile, as you can see there is a
> mixture of DOS and Unix style EOL. When I build with `makefile' the
> build fails very soon. Now I edited `makefile' into
> `makefile.woextractrlm' to remove all extra CTRL-M and I tried to build
> with `-f makefile.woextractrlm' option.

I always check-out the CVS tree with -kb option, and thus I never have
these problems.  Can you try that?

> Maybe configure.bat could be fixed by testing if sed is present on the
> machine, and by filtering all the problematic files
> by some `sed s/\r$//g'  command.

Most Windows ports of Sed will not do with this what you want, because
they read input in "text" mode, where the CR characters are stripped
by low-level library I/O routines and never show in the Sed pattern
space.