Re: emacs daemon on M$? [was: emacs daemon on win32?]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs daemon on M$? [was: emacs daemon on win32?]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:22:18 +0200

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:13:37 +0530
> From: dhruva <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Why does it make sense to have this on Windows?  What would you like
> > to accomplish with this option on Windows?
>
> I really do not have a very strong case. However, I would like to have
> emacs run as a service on M$.

I assume you don't mean ``service'' in the Windows sense of the word,
because doing that requires a totally different program structure,
AFAIK.  You don't want to start Emacs as a service from svchost, do
you?

> I can open frames and edit files, open frame to read mails and close
> it when done. Having emacs run as a service has unlimited uses. I
> could use it to run some remote commands (once I have it running on
> remote machines).  If you have seen STAF (software test automation
> framework) to dispatch commands to remote machines, I would use
> emacs instead. It can become a highly customizable control center!

Which of those cannot be done with the normal Emacs, and why?  (I
think you can do all of them, but maybe I'm missing something.)

In any case, IIUC, the daemon code that's in Emacs now is entirely
inappropriate for Windows.  What you seem to want is an Emacs without
a live frame; doing that on Windows does not need most of the code in
emacs.c that deals with the --daemon option.  (Again, maybe I'm
missing something.)