Re: Display problems with non-ascii characters

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Display problems with non-ascii characters
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:14:16 +0200

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In article <address@hidden>, Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for you help and patience, Handa-san.

I'm not intending to be a pita, but this is still an issue and I think
it should be further investigated and resolved.

If I can help, by sending debugger info or the like please tell me what
to do.

On a second thought I think that my statement:
> So It seems the problem might really be a strange X11 bug, which is
> triggered by the new Emacs display code?

is somewhat to much of an excuse:  The problem really only shows with
recent Emacs, not with any other application where I'm using exactly the
same fonts, nor with older (22) Emacsn.

More additional information, I don't know if its useful but it might
contain some hints for those who know the dirty details of Emacs
display...  ;-)

I noticed the following phenomenon (which is really an extended version
of my observations from the last mail):

I have two systems, A and B, and two users foo and bar, they both have
access to the very same Emacs binary (over nfs) and they both can use
the same X display (via ssh -X).
My X-server runs an system A.

1. I start Emacs with -Q as user bar on system B and do my C-h H test.
   No problem when changing the default font to terminus.
   After that I quit Emacs.

2. I start Emacs as user foo on system A and do some work, until the
   "vanished special chars" bug shows up.  I keep that Emacs running and

3. ... start again Emacs -Q as bar on system B and do my C-h H test.
   After changing the default font to terminus the umlauts are vanished
   in this instance of Emacs, too!

   Please note that the only thing the two Emacsn have in common is the
   X Display, as they run on different hosts by different users.

4. Now: when I quit both Emacsn and restart at 1. the bug is gone again!

   So it affects all Emacsn on the same display once it appeared, but it
   "heals" again when all affected Emacsn are closed...

Any ideas?  Insights?  Suggestions on how to proceed debugging this?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Well, *my* brain likes to think it's vastly more powerful than any