Re: Slightly off-topic: Is anybody suffering 20s delays with Savannah?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic: Is anybody suffering 20s delays with Savannah?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:09:40 +0000

Hi, Tomás!

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 07:44:10AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:20:14PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hi, all!

> > For some time now, at each CVS operation I attempt at Savannah, there
> > has been a 20+epsilon second delay between me hitting <CR> and
> > getting the prompt for the password.  After entering my password,
> > things work as fast as they should.

> There are many possibilities, among them reverse DNS lookup failures,
> GSSAPI, etc. Avahi/mDNS is rumoured to do such things as well (and is
> being sneaked into many distros at the moment).

> Have a look at this thread to get a pan-opticum of possibilities:

>   <http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-135791.html>

> Hope that helps

It did, very much.  After writing the hostname/address combination into
my /etc/hosts and rebooting, I now get prompted promptly by the CVS
servers at savannah and sourceforge.

It's not really that brilliant, having hard coded addresses in
/etc/hosts, but I can live with it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).