Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:50:41 -0500

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 04:30:10 +0800 address@hidden wrote:

j> Gnus cannot deal with
j> From: =?UTF8?B?5b+g576p5Z+66YeR5pyD?= <address@hidden>
j> From: =?UTF-8?B?5b+g576p5Z+66YeR5pyD?= <address@hidden>
j> One needs  ^a dash here. Mutt has no problem.
j> Same with utf8 vs. utf-8.

j> How can one add utf8 and UTF8 as aliases in one's .gnus.el awaiting
j> your fix to filter down?

I thinks this should work.  Can you test it?

(define-coding-system-alias 'utf8 'utf-8)
(define-coding-system-alias 'UTF8 'utf-8)

I think if this is to be fixed, it's in Emacs
(lisp/international/mule-conf.el).  I don't know if it's been discussed
before (I did a search, no results except for some BBDB issues) so I'm
CCing emacs-devel as well.  The fix seems reasonable to me as a user
convenience.  It's very unlikely it will cause problems.  But I don't
know for sure, so please tell me if I'm wrong.

Ted