Re: Impressions of emacs on a cell phone

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Impressions of emacs on a cell phone
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:43:58 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Gentlemen, I have done http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner and even
> debian-gta02:~# apt-get install w3m-el-snapshot
> debian-gta02:~# DISPLAY=:0 emacs -f w3m
> yes, browsing the web.

You beat me to it!

I'm also using Emacs on the FreeRunner, there is great potential I
think.

Here are some ideas of mine(from a mail I sent to the openmoko list):
- get emacs23 working, so one can use the dbus support of emacs 23.
- make a dialer compatible with bbdb, and later addressbook.el
- make a gnus backend for sms
- a symbol chooser keyboard.
  - start the "keyboard"(an emacs app) in a particular context(lets say
  m-x now, but its the same for adresses or whatever)
  - (1) show all unique prefixes in this context
  - (2) choose a prefix
  - (3) repeat from (1) with the chosen prefix, exit on a terminal symbol

I really think Emacs could be a superiour telephone application plattform!

--
Joakim Verona