Re: Word Delimited Query Replace

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Word Delimited Query Replace
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 02:29:19 +0300

>> Currently, M-s w is broken, and I'll will try to fix it.  But even
>> after it is fixed, I think it would be good to provide two ways to run
>> word replacement from isearch, exactly as we already provide two ways
>> to run regexp replacement:
>>   regexp search/replace: C-M-s M-% and C-s C-M-%
>>     word search/replace: M-s w M-% and C-s C-u M-%
>
> I'd rather discourage the second alternatives.  After all, C-s C-M-% is
> rather odd since it'll use the string you searched as a regexp, so if
> you were searching for the string "a*b" the replacement will not apply
> to what isearch matched.

IMHO, it would be worse when the user habitually types C-u M-% to run
word replacement or C-M-% to run regexp replacement and these keys do not
do what the user wants.

We could provide these keys only as a back-up for the case we the user
intuitively types it, and discourage them simply by not advertising in
the documentation.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/