Re: Updating manuals

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Updating manuals
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:45:13 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Judging by the rather small progress I made during these 5 days (30
> NEWS entries, with about 120 entries more remaining, including those
> describing internationalization and multi-tty, which will require a
> _really_ serious effort), I am now quite sure we are in trouble with
> the prospective schedule of the pretest and release, unless much more
> people will come on board to work on updating the manuals.  (I could
> only invest this many hours because it's a public holiday down here,
> and it's almost over.)

Thanks for taking the time to work on this.

A couple of people have stepped forward to volunteer for various jobs.
They are handling the documentation for the new font handling and the
new display-buffer behavior.  Hopefully, more will step up to the plate.

> Having invested now 5 days in updating the ELisp manual, I'm quite
> sure we should request that each code contribution be accompanied with
> some meaningful documentation, even if it's not valid Texinfo.

Yes.  In the past, RMS spent quite a bit of time writing the
documentation himself.  In the future, we'll have to be more rigorous
about requiring documentation with code changes.