Re: Confusion in INSTALL.CVS instructions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Confusion in INSTALL.CVS instructions
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:06:51 -0400

Harry> It's not clear if on a fresh checkout one is supposed to run
Harry> both `make bootstrap' and `make' or if `make bootstrap' takes
Harry> the place of `make'.

>> `make bootstrap' indeed takes the place of `make'.

> I thought that `make' by itself would call bootstrap if necessary, so
> only `make' is necessary.

Indeed.  "make bootstrap" is only needed when after "cvs update" you
encounter some odd situation.  After a fresh checkout, both "make" and
"make bootstrap" should be completely equivalent.

        Stefan