Re: VC filesets

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: VC filesets
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:30:37 -0700 (PDT)

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > I'm currently updating the Emacs manual, and I need someone to clarify
  > >   > how VC filesets work in the new VC.
  > >   >
  > >   > If the current buffer is in a version controlled file, does the
default
  > >   > VC fileset ALWAYS consist of just that one file?
  > >
  > > Yep.
  > > (in case you want to look at the details, the function that deals with
  > > this is vc-deduce-fileset).
  >
  > That's what I thought.
  >
  > But in that case, what's the meaning of this paragraph in files.texi?

Well, your question referred strictly to "the current buffer is in a
version controlled file".

  > It seems to be saying that `C-x v v' automatically DTRT outside of VC
  > dir mode by including the file in a changeset.
  >
  >      If you are accustomed to earlier versions of VC, the change in
  >   behavior you will notice is in the directory mode.  Other than

IMHO this should not be in the texi docs, the difference between old and
new versions belongs in NEWS, "new" gets old too fast in the docs.

  >   @kbd{C-x v v}, most VC-mode commands once operated on only one file
  >   selected by the line the cursor is on.  The change in the behavior of
  >   @kbd{C-x v v} outside VC Directory Mode is more subtle.  Formerly it
  >   operated in parallel on all marked files, but did not pass them to the
  >   version-control backends as a group.  Now it does, which enables VC to
  >   drive changeset-based version-control systems.

Maybe it wants to talk about this:

Note that if you do
C-x v d
mark 2 files in the 'edited state, then do C-x v l
then in the log view buffer you do C-x v = you get the diff for the 2
files that were marked.
Or if you do C-x v v from the diff buffer, it will check in the 2 marked
files...

This part:

  > Formerly it operated in parallel on all marked files, but did not
  > pass them to the version-control backends as a group.

probably wants to say that before in vc-directory you could select
multiple files, and check them in, but they were checked in one file at
a time, instead of as a group in a single command.  Just guessing
here...