Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:21:25 +0900

address@hidden writes:
>> That seems reasonable (though "-from-string" seems superfluous, given
>> the argument is ... a string).
>
> Heh. But this would be ambiguous. You might be feeding the function a
> string encoded in some unknown coding system and expecting it to guess
> what this is (e.g. using some statistical magic). The sister of
> guess-coding-system-from-buffer (as long as I might be baking
> pies-in-the-sky ;-)

Actually that points out a problem with the name --
`guess-coding-system-from-string' implies that it somehow examines the
_contents_ of the string and tries to choose a reasonable coding system,
whereas in fact it simply treats it as a name.

Perhaps something like `canonicalize-coding-system-name' would be good.

-Miles

--
Infancy, n. The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, 'Heaven
lies about us.' The world begins lying about us pretty soon afterward.