Word syntax question

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Word syntax question
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:20:25 +0900

In the following word, all characters have syntax "w" (and have unicode
category "Ll"), but forward-word doesn't jump over the whole thing, it
stops twice.  Anybody know why this happens?

   ʇsǝʇ

Starting with point on the first "ʇ", the first forward-word stops with
point on the "s", then another forward-word stops with point on the 2nd
"ʇ", then finally another will jump to the end of the word.

I know that the non-"s" characters are kind of weird, but based on the
syntax, it seems like emacs should be treating them like any other
letter.

[If I do `C-u C-x =' on the various characters, I notice there's a
"category:" field.  All of the characters have category "l" ("Latin"),
and "s" additionally has category "a" (ASCII), and "r".]

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Christian, n. One who follows the teachings of Christ so long as they are not
inconsistent with a life of sin.