Re: question about `quit-char'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: question about `quit-char'
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:19:39 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:57:01 -0700
>
> A recent message (can't find it now) that mentioned that `quit-char' is not
> necessarily `C-g' prompted me to look through the docs for info about
> `quit-char'.

That was a message from Andreas Schwab, in response to Glenn's
suggestion of how to fix the bug I reported with

   "C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-g"

> I found it only in the Elisp manual, node Input Modes, where `quit-char' is
> used
> to name the 4th element of the list returned by `current-input-mode' (it is
> also
> mentioned wrt `set-input-mode'; `set-quit-char' is not mentioned).

The ELisp manual is not yet up-to-date with Emacs 23; set-quit-char is
what you want.  Note that, for the change of quit-char to really work,
you need at least to remap keyboard-quit to the new key.  And there
are other keybindings that need to be remapped, if one _really_ wants
to replace C-g with something else.

> There is no variable or function `quit-char'.

As you found out, current-input-mode returns, among other things, the
current value of quit-char.