RE: question about `quit-char'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: question about `quit-char'
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:10:05 -0700

> > I found it only in the Elisp manual, node Input Modes,
> > where `quit-char' is used to name the 4th element of the
> > list returned by `current-input-mode' (it is also mentioned
> > wrt `set-input-mode'; `set-quit-char' is not mentioned).
>
> The ELisp manual is not yet up-to-date with Emacs 23; set-quit-char is
> what you want.

Uh, why is `set-quit-char' what I want? I want to bind the quit character to a
particular command in a particular keymap.

And the doc string for `set-quit-char' suggests that it is only for ttys (and my
application is only for use with a window mgr):

 "This function only has an effect on the controlling
 tty of the Emacs process."

(Though I admit that that sentence is not very clear to me.)

> Note that, for the change of quit-char to really work,

I don't want to change the quit character. I want to bind it to a particular
command in a particular keymap (in a particular minor mode).

> you need at least to remap keyboard-quit to the new key.

No, my use case involves minibuffer keymaps, where `keyboard-quit' is not the
command bound to the quit char by default.

> And there are other keybindings that need to be remapped, if
> one _really_ wants to replace C-g with something else.

I don't want to replace C-g with anything else. I want to make sure that
whatever the quit char is it gets bound to my command.

> > There is no variable or function `quit-char'.
>
> As you found out, current-input-mode returns, among other things, the
> current value of quit-char.

Yes, the question is whether there should be a function that returns just the
quit char.