Re: set-window-dedicated-p argument name

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: set-window-dedicated-p argument name
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:53:15 +0200

> I don't think the previous docstrings were good
> (set-window-dedicated-p talked about a "dedication flag", while
> window-dedicated-p referred to a "dedicated object", which was nowhere
> explained). That said, with your wording it is not clear now that
> w-d-p returns the object passed to s-w-d-p.

You're right.  I merely adapted the nomenclature of the Elisp manual
which did not talk about a "dedicated object".

>> If we want to consider a window
>> dedicated iff `window-dedicated-p' equals t, we have to explicitly say
>> that in the doc-string and the manual and then we can (re-)implement
>> this or anything else that suits Stefan's needs.
>
> I think at the moment the thing to do is consider a window dedicated
> whenever FLAG is non-nil.

That's how I did interpret it.

> If and when Stefan adds "different levels of
> dedication", code affected by window dedication should be revised.

I agree that different levels of dedication might make sense.  In
particular, `set-window-buffer' could reuse a dedicated window if
`window-dedicated-p' is something "weaker" than t.

>> Until now, it was
>> possible to do
>>
>> (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) 1)
>>
>> and the window was _not_ considered dedicated by some functions.
>
> I'd say that is a bug of these functions.

Which I hopefully corrected with my patch.

martin