Re: bug#1212: 23.0.60; split-string-and-unquote problems

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#1212: 23.0.60; split-string-and-unquote problems
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:58:49 -0400

>> The list of strings will be passed to call-process or start-process
>> which ultimately will pass them to execv or somesuch: no shell in sight.
> But the original string could have been a properly quoted shell
> command, and those do use sh-style quoting.

I do not understand: what makes you think it could be a properly quoted
shell command?

/We/ define what it can accept.  And as of now, we (well, admittedly,
IIUC, it's mostly just myself) decided that it accepts a syntax derived
from Elisp string quoting, so if you feed it sh-style quoted strings, it
won't work in general (tho it will if you stick to the common subset, of
course).

        Stefan