Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:19:56 +0200

> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:12:02 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > >>>Starting Emacs 22.3 takes 23 seconds.
> > >>>Starting Emacs 23.0 takes 38 seconds.

Is this with cold or warm cache?  Is there a difference?

> > FWIW, I'd find your emacs22 time pretty unacceptable, never mind the
> > emacs23 one, even on a 1.2GHz-class machine. Are a lot of people
> > putting up with that sort of start time? Ouch.
>
> Hey, don't be so hard on my poor little PC!  It's getting on a bit[*].
> There's 83 files being loaded by desktop, with a total of 7801019 bytes.

How many seconds does it take to run "sed -n -e s/xyzzy/xyzzy/p" on
all those files, on that machine?  (That should give us a baseline of
the disk and filesystem performance.)

> emacs-22 -Q starts in ~0.4 seconds.
> emacs-23 -Q starts in ~0.7 seconds.

Can you see if some files your desktop visits take much longer than
others?

How about loading elp.el early on and profiling the startup phase on
both versions?

On GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, and MS-Windows, you can also profile Emacs on
the C level, search for PROFILING in emacs.c.