Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:29:45 +0900

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:
> FWIW, I'd find your emacs22 time pretty unacceptable, never mind the
> emacs23 one, even on a 1.2GHz-class machine. Are a lot of people
> On my admittedly higher-end newish multicore (but each core is only ~
> 2GHz and emacs isn't parallelized...) gnu+linux system, emacs23 takes 1
> to 2 seconds to start

Note that he was including the time to load his "well-padded desktop",
and in my experience this greatly increases startup time.

Obviously it would be nice to see a more precise definition of what
exactly is being measured...

-Miles

--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]