Re: Left chinese double quote character?

From: jasonr
Subject: Re: Left chinese double quote character?
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 06:34:10 +0100

Quoting Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>:

> By the way, Jason, what is the reason of putting a list of
> scripts in :script property of font entities?

The list of supported Unicode subranges is available when listing the fonts
installed on the system, but there seems no documented way to get the list for
an opened font, short of listing matching fonts again (which is very slow) or
manually decoding the truetype font data. So I had to carry this information
with the font entity, and using the same property name as is used to query it
seemed like a good idea at the time.

But I think the original problem here is caused by the fact that this character
lies in the vast "symbol" range, for which Emacs requires the font have
characters for U+201C, U+2300 and U+2500. Most Windows fonts have glyphs for
U+201C, since it is part of the WGL4 character set, and the box drawing glyphs
are commonly included for DOS compatibility, but U+2300 does not have such wide
support (but appears in etc/HELLO, so I can understand why we would want to
choose a font that contains it if possible).