Re: Files that begin with a period

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Files that begin with a period
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:29:22 -0400

>> I'm okay with this change, but I think we shouldn't rename the
>> constant.  There's no need to, really, and doing so introduces
>> gratuitous back-compatibility problems.

> I'm quite agnostic about the names, but a *great* deal of the thread
> was choosing appropriate ones, and XEmacs compatibility and prior art
> were involved. Stephen J. Turnbull participated in the discussion and
> was willing to add the function to XEmacs, IIRC.

Please install your locate-user-data-path function, except "path" should
be changed to "file" and "data" might need to be changed to "emacs"
because: as for user-emacs-directory vs user-data-directory, I don't see
the advantage of user-data-directory: AFAIK XEmacs uses
user-init-directory, so XEmacs (in)compatibility is not the issue.

        Stefan