Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:08:34 -0400

        KH> (http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets), there's no
        KH> alias names for "UTF-8".

    > Why should that be relevant?

    Because, as far as I know, that is the only authority
    registering coding system names comprehensively (even though
    they mix them with character set names).

So what?  This is a matter of what is convenient for users of Emacs.
It has nothing to do with anyone's "authority".

In GNU, we do not obey standards.  We take account of them
in order to figure out what is The Right Thing.  The fact that
a certain name has no meaning according to some standard
means the standard offers no obstacle to whatever we want to do.