Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:12:12 +0200

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:47 AM, David De La Harpe Golden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>

>>> So FWIW probably the problem is in the find-file call path rather than
>>> anything desktop.el is doing in particular
>>
>> Sounds plausible.  Next question: is the slow-down connected in any
>> way with decoding the buffer?  To see if this is a factor, you could
>> compare 180 calls to insert-file-contents with the same number of
>> calls to insert-file-contents-literally, in both Emacs 22 and 23.
>>
>> TIA
>
> Haven't got to that that - however, insert-file-contents may only account
> for < 10% of the total time spent in find-file-noselect-1, at least
> according to the elp profiler.

Based on that observation system calls other than reading the file
contents looks most suspicious to me. In `after-find-file' (which is
called at the end of `find-file-noselect-1') there are some calls to
`file-attributes'. Are they perhaps involved?