Re: Emacs (HEAD) crash on M$ (XP) built with MinGW

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Emacs (HEAD) crash on M$ (XP) built with MinGW
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:21:55 +0530

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:25:38 +0530
>> From: dhruva <address@hidden>
>> Cc: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> > FWIW, I cannot reproduce it either.

>> > IMO is best to let it stand, or even add an assertion; the best way to
>> > catch it is by having it happen.
>
> I completely agree with Juanma: your ``defensive'' fix will simply
> sweep the problem under the carpet, and it won't get fixed for a long
> time, considering that no one can currently reproduce it except
> yourself.
>
>> Could we just log the required extra information for further debugging
>> when that happens? Allowing it to crash is a serious inconvenience
>> (especially  for me since I use the code from HEAD for my regular
>> work)
>
> Then please help us debug and fix this ASAP.  TIA

I am able to narrow down to the minimum configuration you need in your
.emacs file to get this crash (following the steps I had mentioned
earlier).

I put the following lines in my .emacs, opened xdisp.c file and used
the arrow button to move down the lines. Once the cursor reached the
last visible line, the crash happens (before pulling the new lines
into visible frame).

This crash does not happen with a different font though (like courier)!

(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
(setq *def-font
  "-*-Lucida Sans Typewriter-normal-*-*-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-*-*")
(if (boundp '*def-font)
    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist `(font . ,*def-font)))

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!