Re: Emacs Bazaar Repository II

From: Mathias Megyei
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar Repository II
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:08:37 +0100

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 21:37 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Daniel Clemente <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:33:23 +0100
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > Comparison of „time bzr log >/dev/null“ of emacs-merges:
> >
> > With repository format: pack-0.92
> > log: 4m 20s
> > log --short: 3m 17s
> >
> > With repository format: development2
> > log: 3m 4s
> > log --short: 2m 10s
> >
> > git: 0m 7s
>
> It is meaningless to time a command whose main output is redirected to
> the null device, because a clever program could simply do nothing in
> that case.  (I have no idea whether git does that.)
>
> The `log' command exists to produce output, so please either time it
> when it outputs to the screen or redirect to a real file, because
> that's the practical use-case that should be of interest.

Git instantly displays the first page with the most recent
(and most interesting) commits:

 time git log -5
commit 606f8f94cc6288532d7fee9349ac4da98a9ac34b
Author: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Oct 23 13:46:17 2008 +0000

    Update.

real    0m0.346s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.020s

(Measured with "cold" cache on a Laptop
 with Intel Core2duo U7500  @ 1.06GHz)

So in case of Git the first page is shown in practical use-cases in
less than 1s.
I have no idea whether Bzr is able to show the first commits while
computing the others in background.

Best Regards,

Mathias