Re: Editing of invisible text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Editing of invisible text
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:22:28 -0400

> Emacs lets you edit invisible text. That is perhaps not bad, but it is
> bad that you can't see what you are doing when you are editing
> invisible text. Here is a suggestion on how to make this better:

> - Implement a minor mode that make all invisible text visible but with
> a special face (or background color) that tells the user this is
> really invisible text.

> - Ask the user if she/he want to turn on this minor mode for the
> buffer when invisible text is going to be changed.

> - Of course add a variable to override this behaviour when needed ;-)

I'm not sure which scenario you have in mind, but:
- editing invisible text is not a normal occurrence, since point is
  normally moved outside of compositions, images, and invisible text
  at the end of every toplevel command.
- reveal-mode was meant as a way to do just what you want (tho it was
  also meant as a way to use outline-minor-mode differently and this
  is how it evolved more than as a way to handle editing of invisible
  text).

-- Stefan