Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Emacs 21/22: french ç and œ
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:35:44 +0100

    -  the symbol  œ, which in latex is represented by \oe and occurs
       in words like sœur (sister) puzzles me very much:
       First I can't find it neither in a french keyboard nor in
       iso-accents-mode nor in quail (Xemacs 21.4/21.5 Mule) (GNU emacs
       21/22).
       However when using latex and using x-symbol, \oe gets displayed
       as the relevant symbol, although in a sort of strange way:
       My current main font is courier-bold: that symbol gets displayed
       in something which looks like a fixfont of the sort of the family
       mixed, but it is not, xfontsel does not show me this symbol.

       So I don't know, I am no french native and have no idea how
       usually this symbol is generated (it seems that windows french
       keyboard has some ALT-I don't know key generating this
       symbol). The question is, should Mule support this char and how.

       X-symbol does not save this char as unicode or anything like this
       but as \oe.

    -  ispell does not know how do spell this word sœur

Can anybody please clarify.

regards

Uwe Brauer