Re: emacs daemon on win32?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacs daemon on win32?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:14:46 +0100

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 20:03, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:45:19 +0530
>> From: dhruva <address@hidden>
>>
>>  I was hoping to have emacs daemon on M$ platforms.
[...]
> Why does it make sense to have this on Windows?  What would you like
> to accomplish with this option on Windows?

I'm not proposing doing anything right now (these are new features),
but I think a daemon-like behavior on Windows would make sense, even
if we're not talking of a true Windows service (which would bring
little benefit, other than automatic (re)starting, for quite a lot of
added complexity).

The cool thing would be to have a Windows Emacs server start as a
systray app. I'd love for Emacs not to use space in the taskbar, just
in the tray, until I bring it forward with emacsclient. David De La
Harpe Golden proposed as much back in August (though he was talking
about GNU/Linux, I think).

As a lesser alternative, an Emacs server could simply hide its taskbar
button(s) when minimized, at least initially.

Not really related, but still: why does Emacs on Windows not handle
WM_(QUERY)ENDSESSION messages? There was discussion in July 2006 (in a
thread called "Exit hooks not run at logout on w32"), with no clear
consensus emerging on what to do.

   Juanma