Re: emacs daemon on win32?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: emacs daemon on win32?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:31:23 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think the main problem is defining a flexible interface at the
>> C/elisp level to abstract the differences between OS/X, GNU/Linux and
>> Windows.
>
> Do we need anything beyond 2 APIs: one to minimize to systray, the
> other to come back, and perhaps a way to pop up a menu when the icon
> is clicked?

The easiest approach is to have a separate "emacs-systray" application
that (i) starts Emacs in daemon mode and (ii) adds a systray icon which
runs emacsclient when clicked.  "Minimizing to systray" is just the same
as closing the frame, which is already handled properly in daemon mode.

(Same approach works for a Gnome or KDE applet.)