Re: emacs daemon on win32?

From: mail
Subject: Re: emacs daemon on win32?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:12:33 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:05:53 +0100
>> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> > The reason I asked about the sense of having --daemon on Windows is
>> > because Windows, unlike Posix platforms, is not suited well for remote
>> > logins.
>>
>> I don't see there's a necessary relationship between a daemon and
>> remote logins...
>
> Then let me ask you: what _is_, in your opinion, the raison d'etre of
> the daemon mode?

Running emacs without a window, so that, when an editor is needed, emacs
can bring up the existing session with approximately zero startup
time. This is especially useful for applications that want to invoke an
editor on some arbitrary file (though you get nearly the same effect by
simply having the window that runs the server minimized all of the
time).