Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:32:26 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > (2) Just before dumping, clear-charset-maps is called.  This
> >     function sets all char-tables built in (1) (except for
> >     Vchar_unified_charset_table) to nil.  Then set
> >     Vchar_unify_table to Vchar_unified_charset_table, and
> >     set Vchar_unified_charset_table to nil.
> >
> >     Then, garbage-collect is called.  After that, the living
> >     char-table is Vchar_unify_table only, and the contents
> >     is not that big because it maps upper area characters to
> >     charset, and each charset has linear upper area, thus
> >     most succeeding charaters have the same value.

> Is it possible to verify whether the garbage collection indeed reaps
> this data?

To verify that, I tried to run temacs under gdb, but I got
this error.

(gdb) run -batch -l loadup dump
Starting program: /usr/local/work/emacs/src/temacs -batch -l loadup dump
[New process 10730]
Executing new program: /usr/local/work/emacs/src/temacs
warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error
warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error
[New process 10730]
Debugger segmentation fault

Do you know about this error?  Is this a bug of gdb?  A few
months ago, I didn't see this error on running temacs under
gdb.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden