Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:09:03 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:32:26 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Is it possible to verify whether the garbage collection indeed reaps
> > this data?
>
> To verify that, I tried to run temacs under gdb, but I got
> this error.
>
> (gdb) run -batch -l loadup dump
> Starting program: /usr/local/work/emacs/src/temacs -batch -l loadup dump
> [New process 10730]
> Executing new program: /usr/local/work/emacs/src/temacs
> warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error
> warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error
> [New process 10730]
> Debugger segmentation fault
>
> Do you know about this error?  Is this a bug of gdb?  A few
> months ago, I didn't see this error on running temacs under
> gdb.

On a GNU/Linux system, with today's CVS configured as shown below, and
with GDB 6.7.1, I don't get this problem.

Why is libthread_db being used? does your build use GTK+ or some other
library that uses multithreading?

Here's how my CVS Emacs was configured:

    ./configure --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no

   [...]

   Configured for `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'.

     Where should the build process find the source code?
[...]/eliz/emacs.cvs/emacs
     What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
           `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/amdx86-64.h'
     What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign
     Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
         (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
     Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
     Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
     What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
     What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
     Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
     Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11R6/lib
     Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
     Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
     Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
     Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
     Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
     Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
     Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
     Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
     Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
     Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
     Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
     Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
     Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
     Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     no