Re: emacsclient on WXP does not work (as it used to)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsclient on WXP does not work (as it used to)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:15:53 +0200

> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:02:12 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>
>
> Yes, this change:
>
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/emacs/lib-src/emacsclient.c?r1=1.135&r2=1.136&pathrev=MAIN
>
> is wrong, because on Windows, once inside the if(), tty_name is always
> going to be NULL.

Can you please explain why is this a problem on Windows?  I understand
that the addition of current_frame to the `if' clause causes it to be
entered on Windows, whereas it wasn't before, but how does that, and
the fact that tty_name is NULL, cause emacsclient failure reported by
dhruva?

> I wonder why the whole if isn't just #ifdef'd out. Are there
> legitimate uses of tty == 1 on Windows?
>
> The attached patch fixes the problem, but it's ugly as hell.

Agreed (to the ``ugly'' part).  I'd like to try to find a less ugly
fix.