Re: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:09:19 +0200 (EET)

> So name the menu item this: "Emacs Guided Tour (web page)".

Yes, it is important to add such a notice, otherwise running a browser
would a bad surprise for users.

Another question is where to put such a menu item.  Help menus are
already overcrowded.  So maybe to add it to some Help submenu.

> Or, as I mentioned months ago[1], you could ship the tour .odp and .pdf files
> with Emacs like XEmacs does[2], then ask the OS to launch them in whatever it
> thinks is the appropriate viewer.  I like that idea better, since I like the
> slideshow version of the tour[3] much more than the webpage version.  (Though
> maybe I only like it more because I am already a non-newbie Emacs user.  Do
> you agree that that's probably why I like it more?)

Good idea.  We now have a new nice Doc-View mode that can display
PDF files.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/