RE: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:30:13 -0800

> > > Because the former uses the locale's native language
> > > automagically.
> >
> > Then that should suffice.
>
> No, because the locale's native language might in some rare cases be
> not what the user wants.

Menu items are not usually chosen with an eye to catering rare cases. I don't
see the need for the Help menu to cover both cases. Just pick one. I'd suggest
the more general one, where you are prompted for the language.

This is about choosing a language for a tutorial, not for casting a PhD thesis
in bronze. Either respect the user's default language setting or ask the user
which language to use. No need to confuse users by presenting both options.

> > > That'd be annoying if all I want is to read the tutorial
> > > in a language I understand best.
> >
> > Why? You need answer the language question only once (if it
> > saves the language, as I suggested).
>
> Saving it is only useful if I will from now on want that version.  But
> that is not guaranteed.

It's not about guaranteeing 100% coverage or treating all corner cases. We're
talking about a set of menu items. I think either one of those items is
sufficient. But I won't argue this further.