Re: etc/schema

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: etc/schema
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 20:47:37 -0500

Thanks.  I've tried to update the README file with some of this
information.

> relaxng.rnc originates here: http://www.relaxng.org/relaxng.rng
> Although it contains no copyright and license details, it appears to
> have been written by James Clark, but it may have been part of the
> OASIS standardization, in which case copyright and license may be
> determined by OASIS.

This is something of a corner case, I suppose, since James Clark has
assigned copyrights for nxml-mode to the FSF.  Maybe the FSF can weigh
in on this matter.  At the moment, the README lists the license for the
OASIS specification in which the contents of relaxng.rnc also appear.

> the situation with XHTML schemas seems to be different than
> etc/schemas/README describes, as these schemas were manually created
> based on the spec rather than automatically created. Also the status
> of xslt.rnc as a derivative of the XSLT Recommendation needs
> clarification.

I don't know how much of a difference the manual conversion makes---I
think they still count as derived works.  Anyway, if they are licensed
under the W3C Software License as you explained (thanks), it's not a
problem either way.