Re: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:37:39 -0500

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> That is a free software license.  "Without fee or royalty" means you
> don't have to pay to redistribute it.  So we can use those files,
> but we have to maintain the copyright notices and license notices.
>
> How did they get lost?

They were never "lost" --- AFAICT, it's not customary to distribute DTD
files with copyright and license information, but clearly we have
different standards.  Anyhow, I've added notices now.

> Also, we have to distribute the source code.  Someone said these files
> are the result of "transforming" some other files.  What kind of
> "transforming" was it?  If it is automated, then maybe these files
> are the real source code.

The original files are in XML format.  It doesn't make sense to
distribute these files, and thinking of them as "source code" is
dubious, because (i) it's trivial to perform the reverse transformation,
and (ii) the whole point of distributing .rnc files is that .rnc files
are easier and clearer for humans to read than XML---exactly the
opposite of the "source code"/"object code" paradigm!