Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: gnus should accept UTF8 even if UTF-8 is standard
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:04:54 -0500

    You pay attention only to the case of reading the coding
    system name.  But, that is not the point I'm arguing.  What
    do you think about the case of writing codes as I wrote in
    the previous mail?

Do you mean this one?

    > With that, people think that "utf8" is a valid coding system
    > name, and will write a code something like this:
    >   (decode-coding-string STR 'utf8)
    > and found that it signals an error because utf8 is not
    > statically declared as an alias.

It isn't a big deal.  The manual will explain, and there
are ways to view the list of defined coding systems.