Re: patch to fileio.c

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: patch to fileio.c
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 01:17:51 +0100

[ I'm posting my answer here too.]

Thanks for the patch.  Your analysis sounds correct.

However, I would like to test it first.  Do you have a recipe for
demonstrating incorrect specpdl_ptr handling (e.g. a crash)?

I compiled emacs with msvc, and it crashed all the time under the same
circumstance.
Visit a file, modify it outside emacs, and try to re-visit it. Emacs will
detect that it has been
modified and will ask about reloading it. The fd is closed twice because of
the unwind_protect.
With msvcrt.dll, the MS C library, this is a crash. I'm not sure that glibc
is that picky. Possibly
you won't see the problem. However, to make sure, and to test the patch, I
added printf()
statements at both places where fd can be closed, to trace what happened.

Greetings,

Fabrice