Re: Isearch in dired

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Isearch in dired
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 19:07:55 +0200

>> > I think the most convenient default behavior would be context-dependent,
>> > i.e. match only file names when point is on the file name column - where
>> > point stays most of the time: after opening a dired buffer and through
>> > dired operations including navigation.  So it would be natural to do the
>> > same for isearch - never let point leave the file name column.
>
>> > To search of the entire buffer, the user can move point outside the
>> > file name column.  Since this need is very rare, there's no hassle.
>
> ..., except you'd have to move point into that column to start.

Most of the time point already is on file names, and moving it away is
very easy.

>> It is a nice idea if you know what is going on, but how do you tell
>> the user what is going on? Changing the prompt is one possibility, but
>> it is maybe not enough?

Changing the prompt is not a bad idea.  We can display the prompt as e.g.

    Filename I-search:

> How about highlighting the file column (or lowlighting the rest of the
> window) when you press C-\(M-\)?[rs]?

This will cause almost the same horrible visual effect as typing `C-M-s .'
;-)

>> (This reminds me again of that the search part of the menus in Emacs
>> should include all search commands that comes with Emacs. And there
>> should be an easy way to add other search commands there too.)

Maybe in a dired buffer the `Search' menu should duplicate search-related
menu items from `Operate' and `Immediate' submenus.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/