Re: Strange behavior of word isearch

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Strange behavior of word isearch
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:45:49 +0200

> Looks good.  Can people try it out and see if they are surprised?
>
> I know a case where it won't work as nicely as just SPC for me:
> I often use C-w to fill the search, but I often don't start at the right
> position, so I type in the beginning of the word I want, then maybe hit
> C-s a few times to jump to the right occurrence (when it's easier than
> to keep on typing), then C-w.  But with your change, the C-s will skip
> the right occurrence.

For such a case it's more easy to start isearch with C-s, compose a
complete search string with moving point to the right occurrence using
C-w and C-s, and finally toggle the word search mode with `M-s w'.

Many applications have a search dialog box with a "Match Whole Word Only"
checkbox.  `M-s w' would be like selecting such an option to narrow the
search space to word boundaries.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/