Re: Silent autoloading

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Silent autoloading
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:54:44 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 10:06:03 -0500
>
> > Maybe Tramp is a large package, but then "C-x C-f" is a very
> > frequently used command.
>
> Ah, yes, I see that for Tramp indeed.
> How 'bout making Tramp output something before loading itself?

I don't mind, but are we going to hunt down every slow-loading package
and add a message to them as well?

Why not the other way around: re-enable the "Loading..." messages by
default and introduce a variable to suppress it?  Then Lisp code that
needed this to be turned off (something with timers, IIUC) could
simply bind that variable to an appropriate value when doing its
thing.