Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:55:57 -0800

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 20:24 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >     The data segment size of the emacs binary went from 4MB before the
> >     unicode-2 merge to 11MB after the merge.
> > Fixing that is worth a delay.
>
> Note: it's not clear how much of those 7MB we can recover.  Some of them
> are undoubtedly actively needed.  But, yes, clearly there are several
> MBs worth of "unnecessary data", some of it is apparently not only dead
> but even garbage collected.

Are the tables in question represented as flat arrays that are "sparse"
in the sense of mostly containing homogeneous sets of values at roughly
page-sized chunks?   If so, why not just compress them a bit (e.g., make
them shallow trees).   I've had very good results taking that approach
in a past project...   (In particular, I chose the maximum depth of the
tree I was willing to tolerate then did a search to discover optimal (by
my particular metric) branching factors and arranged for the sharing of
identical sub-trees.)

-t