Re: Isearch in dired

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Isearch in dired
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 22:11:06 -0500

    Although it's likely that the user wants to match the filename parts of
    the Dired buffer, there are two things to note:

     (1) There is a significant probability that the user might want to
         match the non-file parts.  For instance, the user may want to find
         all files modified on a certain date.

We already have a suggestion for a very convenient interface:
to make it depend on where point is when you enter the search.

    However, one possibility is to define a standard "dwim search" key
    binding, and try to use that key binding everywhere we want a command
    that tries to guess where the user wants to search.  Then we can make a
    "dwim search" in Dired mean searching filenames.

It's a reasonable idea, in principle.  If we wanted a special dwim
search in several modes, this could be a good way to invoke it -- if we
can't find an even better interface.

Right now we know of only one mode where we want a sort of dwim
search, and we have an even better interface suggestion.  I think we
should use it.