Re: get-byte

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: get-byte
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:57:11 -0500

> Or, are you proposing to create `binary' charset to make the
> above work?

Yes, that's what I'm been suggesting all along.

> Do you have a concrete example in which you need some result
> as a list?  I think, most of the case, we don't need such a
> list, and thus we can have this version:
>   (dotimes (i (length <string>))
>     (... (get-byte i string) ...))

Of course, there's probably always some way around the problem, we have
a Turing-complete language after all.  But it's pretty clear that
encode-char is the fundamental functionality, whereas get-byte is just
a layer on top of it that catches/optimizes the most common cases.

        Stefan