gnuserv as persistent elisp repl

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: gnuserv as persistent elisp repl
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:52:31 -0800

Hi,

I am working on a web-interface to some particular Emacs functionality,
and would like to be able to pass elisp forms to Emacs to be evaluated,
and then return the results to my application.

Currently I am using gnuserv to pass elisp to a persistent Emacs, and
then collect the results using the `-batch' option of gnuclient.  Is it
possible (or would it be with a reasonable amount of devel effort on my
part) to force gnuclient to remain open after evaluating and returning
the results of elisp forms, in effect acting as an elisp REPL?  I would
like this option to avoid the overhead of starting a new gnuclient
process every time I evaluate an elisp form.

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding some aspect of gnuserv, if
there is some documentation I should have already read, or if it sounds
like I am approaching this in the wrong way.

Thanks -- Eric