Re: VC commit missing ChangeLog message

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: VC commit missing ChangeLog message
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:43:38 -0600

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:25:13 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> My normal work flow is:
>> 1) make changes
>> 2) `C-x 4 a' to make a ChangeLog entry
>> 3) `C-x v d' to do a commit with vc

>> The problem is that the commit message doesn't get the ChangeLog entry I
>> just made.  This used to happen with the PCL-CVS package and I miss the
>> functionality very much.

SM> C-c C-a from within the *VC-log* buffer will fetch the ChangeLog entry
SM> you just wrote.

I wonder if it could:

1) always be called on opening the *VC-log* buffer, since it's harmless

2) give an informative message about why it didn't find a ChangeLog
entry, if it's invoked manually and it couldn't find an entry

3) be mentioned in the *VC-log* buffer in a comment line, together with
other helpful information, e.g.

;;; Lines prefixed with ;;; will not be in the commit message
;;; Use C-c C-a to insert the best-guess ChangeLog entry
;;; Use C-u C-c C-a to forcibly insert the last ChangeLog entry
;;; Enter your commit message below

I know (3) is pretty verbose but it's nice for new users...

Thanks
Ted