Re: move to fail position in Isearch edit

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: move to fail position in Isearch edit
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:36:35 +0200

>> > Isn't it more convenient to type a new key to immediately remove the
>> > failed part without entering the minibuffer for editing?
>>
>> I agree. If it then allows you to continue typing more chars
>> to search for.
>
> That's just what `C-g' does today. It removes the failed (mismatch) portion
> and
> lets you continue to search. And that includes letting you type more
> characters
> at the end of the search string. Nothing new there.
>
> What I proposed is not about that - it's about editing chars in the middle of
> the search string, keeping some or all of the chars that failed to match. See
> the example I gave.

I described what would be more useful without thinking about whether it
is implemented or not, and this happens to be already done ;)  So I really
can't comment about the usefulness of a special keybinding with a seemingly
rare use.  Instead we could keep the highlighting with `isearch-fail' face
of the failed portion in the editing minibuffer.  Thus it will provide a
visual indication to help moving point to the right place when necessary.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/